Piling contractor Aarsleff Ground Engineering offer Timber piles to its clients. Timber has been used for piled foundations for centuries. Responsibly sourced timber piles are installed for many project types – mainly within marine working environments and low loaded structures with a lifespan of up to 30 years.
Timber has been long favoured for marine works because of its ability to absorb impacts and its ease of handling over water. Timber piles are used for groynes and sea defence works as well as jetties, dolphins, fender piling and rubbing strips. The main advantages are potential low costs, sustainable material, carbon sequestration and off-cuts can be used for fuel.
Aarsleff commonly use Greenheart Timber piles (also known as Demerara Greenheart), ideally suited for salt and fresh water applications where strength and long life are required. Indeed, Greenheart has been used in piling for many years, due to its longevity under extreme conditions. The piles also require no timber treatment making it a very environmentally friendly solution, yet significantly stronger than other timber alternatives.
Advantages of using timber piles include:
- Responsibly sourced organic timber piles
- Timbers are suited for salt and fresh water applications
- Most timber piles have a minimum life span of 25 years
- Low cost to source and install
- Sustainable material does not contaminate the ground
- Greenheart timber is one of the strongest commercially available timbers in the market